In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marnham like this:
"MARNHAM, a township in East Retford district, and a parish partly also in Southwell district, Notts. The township lies on the river Trent, 3¾ miles N by E of Carlton-on-Trent r. station, and 5 ESE of Tuxford; and has a fair, for horses, cattle, and merchandise, on 12 Sept. Acres, 2,380. Real property, £4,306. Pop., 273. Houses, 46. The parish contains also the township of Grassthorpe, and the hamlet of Skegby;"
Today however, Marnham consists of the villages of High Marnham & Low Marnham.
There is a nice walk to next village - Low Marnham - and a handsome perpendicular Church of St. Wilfred's, where several ancient monuments commemorate the Cartwright family in the 18th century and there is a very handsome Coat of Arms.
There is Sherwood Forest where Robin Hood and his merry men would hide in the Major Oak , before they stole from the rich,. The Oak is about 1000 years old.
We have Castles in both Newark and Lincoln, Lincoln Cathedral, the Gainsborough Old Hall built by Sir. Thomas Burgh in 1460 in Gainsborough, and Doddington Hall an Elizabethan Mansion complete with walls and courtyard construction of which started in 1593 and completed 1600, all of which are within approx. 35 mins of our site.
High Marnham is home to Dawn Ogden-White, who has a large variety of paintings for sale. Some of her work is displayed at the local Brownlow Arms